Saturday, January 30, 2010

RIP JDS Response: Influential Reading

There have been a lot of books that have been influential to me in some way. The book that I think has been most influential is Where the Red Fern Grows. If you have never read the book, it is a child's novel about a boy and his determination to earn and train two coonhounds. Raised in the Ozark Mountains, he comes from an extremely poor yet loving farming family. Late at night he hears the distant cries of neighboring hunters chasing their hounds and desperately aches for a pair of his own. He saves his change for two years and finally comes up with the money to buy them. Long story short; he prays and prays for these dogs and, miraculously, ends up getting the two best coonhounds in the country. The bond that grows between the boy and his hounds becomes sacred and is as if they are angels created and sent just for him.

It is a very emotional story that has affected me personally and one that I have carried with me since elementary school. This novel may be one for children, but it holds a lot of values that will always be meaningful to me. It possesses morals of respect, love, discipline, hard work and motivation. It has taught me to cherish my family and to trust my faith in God and nature.

1 comment:

  1. I have also read Where the Red Fern Grows and it was a very inspirtational story for me. I have taken the morals and lessons it teaches with me as I have been growing up. They are lessons any child can take with them and keep them in their mind for life. I have also watched the movie and the book, to me, was much better. The book some how tells the story better and can get the plot across better than the movie. However, somebody else could have a different opinion. Where the Red Fern Grows has also been one of the most influential stories for me also.

    ReplyDelete